Winter Club History
Frederick C. Aldrich is credited with first suggesting, during the fall of 1900, the formation of “a club for winter sports to be located somewhere near the center of the village.” To test the popularity of Mr. Aldrich’s suggestion, the land on which the Winter Club now stands was leased, with the option to buy, for the Winter of 1901-02. An outdoor skating rink was prepared along with a toboggan slide, which crossed over Sheridan Road. The Winter Club rink quickly became the center of all social activities that first winter, as skating, curling and tobogganing entertained young and old.
The ice hockey program reached a pinnacle during the 1960’s as Winter Club teams’ participated competitively at national tournaments. In 1965 and 1968 the Winter Club Bantam Hockey team won the State Championship and went on to compete in the National Championship in Lake Placid, New York (1965) and Edina, Minnesota (1968).
For over one hundred years the Winter Club has been a place for young hopefuls to hit the ice the old fashioned way. Today, the Winter Club serves as the home to a competitive travel hockey program, as well as fielding several house league teams and offering a comprehensive Learn to Skate program for all ages in both Hockey and Figure Skating.